Friday, June 15, 2012

Teach Your Daughter To Drive In The City

When I was a newly minted licensed driver my Mother never visibly flinched when I wanted to take off for "the city". The city being Kansas City, the largest metropolitian area near our little home town.
I thought it was fabulous that she allowed me to take my little 1976 Pacer X and head off for adventure. Off to Worlds of Fun I and my friends went. Off to KC Royals games we zipped on weekends. Off to the big city.
What I thought was just a very cool thing my Mom was letting me do was a very calculated plan to prepare me for life.
Many years later I found out Mom overrode my Father's objection to me driving into the city on my own. Why? Because she was determined I learn to drive in big city traffic. She never wanted me to be afraid, never wanted me to have to rely on someone else to drive me around and she sure as hell never wanted me to feel as though I was not capable of anything. The rush and crush of the traffic shouldn't be fearful. The thought process I'd need to navigate should be instintive. And the independence I'd have from mastering something as basic as driving in big city traffic would serve me the rest of my life - in so many other areas.
She was right.
Mom never learned to drive in traffic much bigger than her small town. I have seen her drive in busy traffic and honestly she is nervous, indecisive and frankly in over her head.
My Mom taught me many things. But one of the most useful was allowing me to learn how to handle whatever life may throw at me by making me learn to drive in rush hour traffic. At the time, I didn't know I was learning how to overcome most any crisis I'd encounter later. Those are the best lessons.
Thanks, Mom.

No comments: